Friday, March 4, 2011

What I Learned Today

Did you know that butter can mold? Did you? Well, it can. Ask me how I know.

I dare you.

Today in the midst of making a lasagna, cleaning the kitchen, and baking a chocolate cake, I found out firsthand that butter can, indeed, mold.

Halfway through my chocolate cake adventure, I went to measure out the butter. I used the remaining couple of tablespoons from one package and opened the second, newer package (maybe a week or two old) to find…well, I’ll spare you a photo, but let’s just say…butter covered in mold.

Disgusting.

What on earth am I to do? Lane’s asleep and I’m making a cake because our language tutor and our babysitter are coming over in less than two hours. I can’t go to the store because Shannon’s gone and Lane is sleeping. So I did what any frugal, desperate, woman would do.

*Let me chase a rabbit here. Did you know that in Istanbul, real butter is $2-$3 per 250 grams (1/2 pound)? And while margarine is much cheaper it’s…gross. Hot water (and I mean, hot, boiling water) and soap won’t get it out of a measuring cup. It won't melt. I can’t imagine what that stuff does to your arteries!*

So, what did I do? I cut that mold off and used the middle, not-moldy, part. It was my only option, really.

What would you have done?

4 comments:

  1. I had NO idea! That's kind of gross, I need to go home and check my butter now. As for what I would have done...probably the same thing as you. Besides you were going to bake it, so I'm sure you would have killed all the germs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would've poured some milk and started churning butter. Just kidding - would've done the same thing. I think it's not terrible when it comes to sticks of butter, cheese, but definitely should throw the whole loaf of bread out if one part is moldy. There are spores in bread that has tons of air pockets inside and you don't know where the spores are whereas butter and cheese blocks are dense so spores haven't burrowed or anything. See my line of reasoning? At any rate, what you did is definitely forgivable, if done once in a while in desperate times. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea! Maybe it's how they process Turkish butter is why it molds??
    I would have done the exact same thing, just like with cheese! Can't waste a good cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, wow!
    Girl, I'm not judging you, I probably would've done the same thing. But I would have had to keep it a secret from Alex because he's picky about that sort of thing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!