Monday, August 11, 2008

Summer Projects

Well, the weekend is just about over and school starts in 4 days. I can't believe that summer break is almost over! Honestly, I don't feel like I got much of a break. Between moving, out-of-town trips and my summer class, I feel like I got the first 2 weeks and the last 2 days for a vacation. Oh well. I did get a lot of things accomplished, so maybe this upcoming semester won't be very stressful.

This past week was a good one. First, I organized my sock drawer. Now, I know that sounds incredibly boring, but honestly, it was driving me crazy. Shannon and I got a (very) late wedding present (gift card to Bed, Bath and Beyond), so we went shopping and I bought these drawer divider things and set to work. Unfortunately I don't have a "before" picture, but trust me, it was bad. Next task: the underwear drawer (don't worry, I won't take pictures!)


Check out all those compartments! Undershirts, tights, belts, sleep shorts, and socks...wow!

Wednesday evening Shannon and I went to some friends' house and played Settlers of Catan. It was much fun. Thursday our friends Diana and Greg came over because it was Diana's birthday, so I made lasagna and peach and blackberry cobbler. It was good, but quite honestly, not worth the 42 chigger bites I got picking the blackberries. Friday was "date night." We've decided that Fridays are going to be our regular date night where we just spend time with each other. So, we watched "We Are Marshall" and went to bed early. I didn't even cook...we just ate leftovers. It was great, and the movie was good too.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time in the kitchen. I drove Shannon crazy, but he doesn't understand that I actually like to cook. So, I made a tomato tart for us for dinner and prepped a new take on my squash and rice casserole. I omitted the breadcrumbs and added shredded chicken and used yellow squash instead of zucchini. It now makes a pretty good main dish! Shannon washed a lot of dishes yesterday, but like I told him, there weren't that many to wash today! We long for the day when we have a dishwasher (which may actually be, umm, a very, very long time from now since we're planning on living overseas!)


Tomatoes drying and me rolling a cornmeal crust for the tart.

Then last night I took it upon myself to cover this ugly corkboard that we have hanging in our kitchen. It used to be in Shannon's "office" at our old place, so I didn't care what color it was, but when we moved I bought some blue fabric to fix it up so it would match our kitchen. Yesterday I finally got to that project. I am not the most crafty person out there, so it was hard for me to get it to work, but I finally conquered it! Shannon said it would be easier just to buy a new board, and while I agree, this way we were good stewards of what we already had.


The best "before" picture I have...isn't that an awful color of orange?

And that has been our weekend. This week I have a few things I want to get done, but for the most part we'll try to relax before classes begin on Thursday. We're excited for the semester but also long for more free time. Only 5 more classes left after this semester! Then we can have free time, right?

4 comments:

  1. Oh yeah- I remember making the tomato tart in Poland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah--Earl Ellis is actually the professor. Should it annoy me that I have to buy six books written the by the man who is teaching my class? Couldn't he just tell us what he wrote? And shouldn't he want us to have a broad perspective on the subject, rather than just knowing what he thinks? He's one of the most brilliant NT scholars of his time, though, so I guess I should let it slide. All of his books are between $50 and $80, though. Blah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm... the sock drawer??? i'm concerned that u hav entirely too much time. i dont even have time to roll my socks. that tomato tart looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your blog while browsing. I have the exact same organizer in my sock drawer and I have to say it really helps a lot to keep my socks in order and I can find what I want to wear. Unless they are still in the laundry basket waiting to be folded. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!